Today, on September 11, the Concept of sustainable development of the historical settlement of Kazan was presented to the President of Tatarstan Rustam Minnikhanov. The purpose of the development is to create uniform design principles in the center, return life to the center of Kazan, taking into account the most important task of preserving the historical city and its identity. Particular attention was paid to the development of intangible heritage.
After the adoption and implementation of the Concept, developers, builders and other businesses will receive transparent rules for working in historical territories. The new rules will reduce the time for approving projects in the center, presumably from 15 to 8 months, and increase the percentage of projects passing from 75% to 90%.
Architects will receive a clear design regulation based on spatial envelopes, which defines all development parameters in three different zones of the historic settlement. Each developer will be able to receive a town planning plan of the land plot, which contains both the current restrictions and recommendations for its permitted and desirable use.
It is planned that the number of residents in the city center will increase from 45 to 75 thousand, the density will increase from 20 to 40 people per hectare, the number of housing will increase by 700-800 thousand square meters. m, including through the reconstruction of existing buildings. The accessibility of the territory will increase to 70 million "guest visits" per year.
It is proposed to increase the volume of green areas, to connect them to each other in garden rings, to increase the pedestrian accessibility of the center and its cross streets, to realize the long-standing dream of Kazan citizens and to bring the city to the Volga by creating the Volga embankment.
The finished Concept was presented to the President by the authors of the project and members of the project group: Oleg Maklakov (Axiom Architect), Anna Novikova (Architectural practice of the Novikovs), Marya Leontyeva (Design laboratory Tamga).
The meeting was also attended by:
Mayor of Kazan Ilsur Metshin
Aide to the President of the Republic of Tatarstan Olesya Baltusova
chief architect of Kazan Ilsiyar Tukhvatullina
Fanil Agliullin, Minister of Land and Property Relations of the Republic of Tatarstan
members of the project team, experts and consultants of the working group.
A feature of the Concept is a unified comprehensive vision of the development of the territory in four layers: buildings, streets, landscape, activities. Over the course of two years, the working group achieved the following results:
1. Rules for regulation of terraced buildings have been developed, which will make it possible to concretize the design requirements in the historical center, taking into account the volumetric-spatial structure inherent in the city, the need to preserve the urban composition, preferred materials, and architectural features.
2. The historical natural landscape of the city has been fully described, proposals have been developed to identify and reveal the potential of the natural landscape: the development of pedestrian spaces, the creation of maximum access to water areas, the development of the transverse direction of streets to increase their pedestrian accessibility and use the species potential of the natural relief, unification of historical gardens and groves of the city into three garden rings by creating green continuous connections.
3. A methodology has been developed that allows the study of intangible heritage to be combined with architectural and urban planning solutions: the main stable unique structures of the territories of the historical center of Kazan have been identified, and key urban experiences have been identified. This will make it possible to form a vision of the development of local territories, taking into account local identity and the balance of interests of stakeholders already existing in the territory.
One of the most important blocks of work on the implementation of the developed Concept is the legal one. A comprehensive analysis of the legislation has been carried out and a list of documents has been prepared, which need to be amended at all levels, from federal laws to municipal legal acts. The largest changes are expected to be made in the Land Use and Development Rules (LRP).
At the moment, some ideas of the Concept have already begun to be applied in the practice of the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning of Kazan, have entered the local standards of urban planning.
It is planned to continue work on the Concept by introducing development principles into various town-planning documents.
President of the Republic of Tatarstan Rustam Minnikhanov:
“We ordered this innovative development to Kazan architects to determine the direction for the further development of the center. The development is completed, we have accepted, approved. Now it will begin to take root in the life of the city. Developers get clear rules, authorities get a clear understanding of regulation, and citizens get a beautiful city.
The main thing that this Concept gives is an integrated approach to development, the ability to preserve the historical center, and at the same time carefully build up empty areas. Under the chief architect of the city, a project office will be created, thanks to which the concept will be transformed into working documents.
In addition to Kazan, there are thirteen historical settlements in the Republic of Tatarstan, therefore, I consider it necessary to do similar work in Yelabuga and Chistopol. The corresponding order has already been given. "
Mayor of Kazan Ilsur Metshin:
“For nine years now, a commission under the leadership of the president has been examining each building in detail. Today we have grown to the point that we have created a kind of constitution - a concept. After that, regulatory frameworks and regulations will be developed, with clear regulations for each section of the concept. "
Aide to the President of the Republic of Tatarstan Olesya Baltusova:
“The concept has been approved, but it will require implementation measures. Now we have to decompose it according to the documents of the local and regional level. There are proposals for federal documents regarding the application of the methodology and the expansion of the objects of protection of the historical settlement.
The main thing now is that the main vectors of vision have been approved. We believe in the concept and want it to come true! "
The development of the Concept was initiated in 2018 by the President of the Republic of Tatarstan Rustam Minnikhanov. The decision to create the group was made after discussions on design in the center of Kazan at meetings of the interdepartmental commission on urban planning activities. It was headed by the Mayor of Kazan Ilsur Metshin. The working group included professional architects, experts in urban planning, planning, economics, sociology and heritage, supervising officials. The design team consists of architects working on a spatial model, under the leadership of the Kazan architect Oleg Maklakov (Axiom Architect). Anna Novikova and Nikolay Novikov ("Novikovs' architectural practice") worked in the project group in the direction of the urban landscape. The block of intangible heritage is being developed by Kazan scientists, culturologists and urbanists headed by Marya Leontyeva and Enge Dusaeva ("Design laboratory" Tamga "), the regulatory block was led by Daria Ganieva. The curators and consultants of the Project Group were federal and international experts in the field of urban planning and urban planning.
The tasks of the working group:
● creation of a concept for sustainable development of the historical settlement of Kazan for a period of at least 10-15 years;
● formation of the mission and vision of the future historical center of Kazan as an urban space and an urban community;
● creation of an integrated spatial model of urban space within the boundaries of the historical settlement of Kazan, which meets the objectives of the formed mission and vision of future development;
● development of guidelines for design within the boundaries of the historical settlement of Kazan;
● determination and substantiation of requirements for urban planning regulations within the boundaries of the territory of the historical settlement of Kazan;
● creation of grounds for inclusion in normative legal acts regulating urban planning activities in the specified territory.
● Drawing up an economic model and a map of investment intentions.
● Drawing up a modern social map of the territory.
● Creation of an identity model for the center of Kazan.